Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Sonia Kashuk Créme Blush in Rosey

In direct response to your requests for more Sonia Kashuk products reviews, I stopped by my local Target a few weeks ago and perused the SK aisle. Since I'm currently on a coral blush kick, I thought I'd give the Créme Blush in Rosey a try, so I purchased it for $9.89 at my local Target.

 Sonia Kashuk Créme Blush in Rosey
(retail: $9.89 at Target)

After I got this blush home, I did a little research and found that this line has received rave reviews on many beauty sites. I also discovered in the comments on the Target website that a customer said this line has been discontinued. These blushes were not on clearance at my local Target, and they're still on both the Target site and the SK site, so I can't confirm the validity of that info.



This blush does not contain any shimmer or sparkle.




This blush is a true coral with equal parts orange and pink:


At first swipe, the pigmentation is impressive, but once it's blended onto the skin, it becomes very sheer:


The above swatch was photographed after I only very lightly blended this product into my skin. 

After using this blush off and on for two weeks now, here are my thoughts:

Texture and finish: as stated above, the finish of this blush is a true creme--no shimmer or sparkle whatsoever. The texture is very smooth and it has a light, gel-like consistency to it. It glides on the skin effortlessly and it is a snap to blend using just your fingertips. I've experienced absolutely no tugging or pulling during application.

Pigmentation on staying power: At first swipe, I was very impressed with the pigmentation of this product. The color was exactly the shade I had hoped it to be based on the color in the pan. However, after gently blending this blush onto my skin, it sheered out so much on my NC20 skintone that I absolutely had  to build for more pigmentation. It is easily buildable in that it doesn't become cakey with additional applications, however I just couldn't get the pigmentation where I wanted it to be, no matter how much additional blush I added to my cheeks. It's as if the process of blending takes the pigmentation away, if that makes sense. As for staying power, that's where this blush truly failed me. I can get about two hours of wear from this product before it completely disappears from my cheeks. I've tried it using a variety of different foundations (powder, liquid, cream) and I always get the same results: about two hours after application, it's gone. I've also tried it with a few different setting powders and that has not increased the staying power either. Lastly, I tried using it as a base for some of my powder blushes, and I find that the color of my  powder blushes dominates the overall color, so it really doesn't add anything in that capacity.

FINAL VERDICT: Based on the rave reviews of this blush line, I'm convinced that either I picked the wrong shade, or that the majority of reviewers don't have super-oily skin like mine. I'm SURE this blush works for many people out there, but it just didn't work for me, no matter how hard I tried. It's just so sheer after blending, and coupled with the lack of staying power, I can't say I'll reach for it again anytime soon. In my opinion, this shade would work best for those with very fair skin and also those with very dry skin. I'd say that if you're an NC20 or above and you have oily-to-very-oily skin, this might not be a love-match for you.

Do you own any Sonia Kashuk Créme Blushes? If so, what shades do you own and how do they work for you?
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I have normal to oily skin and did a review on the Sunset blush. I really like it and the color is so pretty. Think coral HEAVEN! Just google the sunset blush and you will see the swatches. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunset is a powder blush, right? I think I need to try one of those next!

      Delete
    2. Yeah! Like I mentioned, I get oily in the under eye area near my nose and the staying power for the powder blush on me is 6 hours before it starts to fade out. I like to add a little powder to grab the oil. I think it would look great on anyone, especially for the tan girls! I really want to try the Neutrogena Shine Control Makeup you posted earlier. I like dewy-ness, but shine? No thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm sad to hear that this wasn't as long lasting as you had hoped. I've been wanting to try SK blushes for a while now, but I never have for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sad too, but hopefully they work better for you if you try them. :)

      Delete
  3. What a let down! This looked so pretty in the pan... Given all the rave reviews, I wonder if the other shades are very different in terms of pigmentation? Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. And yes, i'm thinking another shade might work better (hopefully!).

      Delete
  4. I really love the colour. Do you know were we can buy SK in Europe? I'm looking forward to trying a concealer set but I can't find it anywere :( Thank you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK is a brand that's sold exclusively at Target here in the US, but unfortunately I don't know if/where you can get this brand in Europe. :(

      Delete
  5. I like the SK blushes, my favorite one is flamingo, on it lasts most of the day, but i have skin that is a bit on the dry side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum...I wonder if you're getting better staying power because of the color, or if your skin is drier? Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Shade is actually not that bad. I like the smeared out version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I just wish it wasn't so sheer on my skin and that it had better staying power. :(

      Delete
  7. I love that you don't automatically put down products negatively just because they don't work for you. I've seen too many reviews of people saying something doesn't work for them, therefore it must be a terrible product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that! Based on how many times I myself haven't agreed with particular reviews of various products, I always try to keep in mind that everyone's needs are different and what may not work for me could still work for others. :)

      Delete
    2. Thats a beautiful color, too bad it wasn't what you expected but do try a different color as you said and please if you do post it on here so we can all see it...your makeup reviews are fabulous

      Delete
    3. I'll definitely do that! Thanks so much for saying, that--it means the world to me that you feel that way. *hugs*

      Delete
  8. Well, I'm NW15, So I assume this one would show up pretty well on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I think it might be PERFECT for you since it goes so sheer.after blending! :)

      Delete
  9. Aw I love cream blushes but I need something with more staying power and pigmentation. I live in San Diego and the weather gets pretty hot down here. So a lot of cream products just slide off my face. :[ Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in SD too, so I know exactly what you mean! Lol!

      Delete
  10. I hope these aren't being discontinued! Have you heard anything else about weither or not they are going to be?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig